Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Winter Confusion-What to do now?


Well, after a month with no produce invention and curiosity have set in.This usually causes me to get in trouble but I have learned to channel in a posistive way. As a result I bought Eliot Coleman's -Winter Harvest Handbook. (and actually read it) Apparently I am several months behind on implementing that approach but am set for next Fall though.

I started seeding December10th Broccoli,Raab,Cauliflower,Arugala,Leeks,Sorrel,Mache,kale,pac choi and spinach.

Everything survived the frigid end of year weather.

The Raab,Arugala and Pac Choi have grown well enough to now be able to transplant.



So-The Low Tunnel Experiment begins. These mini greenhouses have warmed the soil during the day an average of 20 degrees. So in the pac choi,arugala and raab go. At the same time I moved the remaining plants up to 4'' pots in the real greenhouse to compare the growth. We'll see...

I continue to seed every two weeks. I have the feeling everything will grow and catch up with one another...but at least they are still alive.

The good news is we are still alive and getting dirty.We have even made some new friends

To those who supported us this past season THANK YOU. We have been very busy(pictures to come)and for those who we havent seen in a while I look forward to seeing all of you soon...food in hand. Tate



3 comments:

  1. looks good Tate.

    suprised about the results of the low tunnel vs. the greenhouse.....keep up the good work!

    question? how many chickens does it take to turn a lugnut wrench on a tractor tire anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. cant wait for the raab round up.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete